Friday, February 06, 2015

Tolerance and trust on the road...but we have lost it where it matters

I always felt Indians exhibit a lot of tolerance and trust while they drive a car or ride a bike on the road. The way a auto follows a bike or a bike slips through two cars or a government bus overtakes from the left to find its own way through the so called pedestrian space is amazing.


Perumal Murugan threatened, Ghar wapsi,, Hindu rightwing threatening in open the general public and the minority facist threating the majority silent spectators....all signs of weakening democracy and taking our freedom for granted.

Discontented India in second decade of twentieth century led to The Non-Cooperation Movement in 1920-22....A century has gone by...there aren`t enough leaders and followers to do a 'REPEAT'....Being silent and not letting the ones belief known, that the virtues that our societal fabric was once made of, is our biggest SIN today. Today, freedom of speech, tolerance are like shooting star that one keeps gazing the sky for and it appears once in a hundred years and vanishes in seconds.



Not that the 1920-22 movement bought us freedom but it did bring a change in the way world looked at us...


There is many a difference between then and now...
We are a discontented India now alright (in pockets based on our own convenience) but we are more selfish with a lot more public apathy than we were before. During one of those rare conversations on politics my wife said Freedom actually meant equal opportunity for the people of the state to do what they wanted (Food, Health, Education, Business). She learnt it from her father. Being in Tamilnadu (one of the states in India), I used to believe that as I grew up I was never denied my freedom. But is  it the same for everyone around the country. How different would it be for me if I were in Dandewada / Koraput or Sopore? But how many of us who have the freedom think of those without.
But then when incidents like that of Perumal Murugans happens in your own peace loving state, be ready to face the music one day at your own home I tell myself and near and dear ones.


There were cast based / community based leaders then but atleast they were consistent with their stand / their political agenda and their followers could really anticipate their next move. Today’s leaders (I am not even comfortable using the word leader for the current bunch - suggest a word for me to replace) are full of surprises each day that it’s difficult for anyone to connect with them. Its been quiet a while I have had a inspirational leader in India. There are many who do easy corrupt the social fabric and make good for themselves.




I am an eternal optimist and I am eager to look forward to a time when I will find a society that is more inclusive, that shows more empathy and listens to one another with patience, and speaks without fear. I am looking forward for my daughter and her generation to shape it. And in that effort I hope I can atleast shape, and instill the required humane values in her.


I pray (as a rationalist) borrowing words from Rabindranth Tagore:


Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father,
let my country awake.

No comments: