Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Communication Engineering !!! Engineering Communication ??

I have been proud of myself last couple of months and at times amazed with my new interest to study. Just that I am doing something totally new for the first time. I have started to like studying. Never before in life have I learnt a subject for the Learning sake. Having got engrossed in something new these couple of months I have lost something which I used to be good at.

I have always liked myself crowded with people I know. In that way after my four years of college I have tried to be in touch with almost everyone I know - close and not so close. Means of communication being plenty it has been so easy to alteast keep informed about people- Yahoo groups, the messenger the old yahoo`s and the new google talk, and the very common means by a call over the cell.

The new orcut - I call it the lost and found place. So many people to be in touch with and it is natural to miss a couple of people. One such guy was Girish I had come to talk to because of Orcut. For people who don’t know Girish he was my senior at college. And guess what it is full four and half years after which I had a message from him on Orcut. Then his voice on google talk. Just the same OYYA as we used to call him after seeing KAADHAL MANNANs vivek. May be we’ll have a meet in Chennai this time when he comes back from US.

DOT "raghavan praveen" just popped in on my screen a couple of days back after a sabbatical. He is in Chennai with a short break from PhD. And I remember how communication helped us both in making a difference by contributing to a reconstruction of a school at Nagai.

My Anna sending in pictures of Aswin my nephew in days of being born, then me mailing new year wishes to my friends and their prompt replies wouldn’t have been possible without the facility available to us today.

Yesterday and today I have been proudly showing my big photo albums to people here at BIM and telling my stories with each of those pictures. I am sure for people around me some might even be bored of the story but I haven’t been bored of those stories having told them more than a hundred times. I am not sure; there might be even some who would tell the same stories better than me having heard me for quiet sometime. I have a soar throat actually telling Thyagu, Nandini and IM those stories. I know for sure that this story telling will be part of the bed time story telling to my kids.

The point is the people I have come across have left an impression that shall stay for a really really long time. Not that the new ones I meet haven’t made any difference but do we really express about people who stand in front. May be I’ll tell a story of these people to someone else. All these people I have met have been so different in their own right.

There are a billion people and a billion attitudes and each one is so unique


I had called Goutham the other day to wish him for the New Year.
He had called me yesterday.We talked in length about different length. Just before he had called I was chatting with another friend of mine Sujeevana and was mentioning about him. Just that it is nice to have people around you feel really good. And it feels even better that you remember someone and they call you. It has happened not once but thrice last two days.
Now after my stories about the photo album I get two mails about people I talked in length.

One of my New Year resolutions is to revive my contacts. I was telling Goutham that it had become a ritual calling my friends even the dear ones. The last time I called him was on his Birthday. I had called others was during Diwali. I feel it is really artificial about talking to them on just some occasion. So I have decided I better mail them about things regularly and keep them informed. All this said and done I shall do with no intension of getting a reply for different reasons. :)

I am a communication Engineer from REC. Engineering communication is what I learnt from REC and not Communication Engineering!!!

Now when I am doing MBA I get to hear
" Whether having contacts is important for an MBA".

If people see the advantage behind the act of being in contact as the only motivation so be it. I think we learn much more than anything being with people. Engineering Communication!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!